Why Install WordPress Locally?
There are many good reasons to set up a copy of WordPress on your local hard drive. Working with WordPress for Windows is a great way to test plugins, updates, and other website changes before pushing them live to your audience
Most importantly, it allows you to test site changes, themes, and plugins in a safe environment where it won’t have serious cost for your live site if something goes wrong. 🙄
For this tutorial, I will be using XAMPP that lets you create a web server on your local machine
The following things will be covered in this blog post:
- How to download and install XAMPP on Windows.
- How to set up a MySQL Database.
- How to download and install WordPress on XAMPP.
- How to install free themes and plugins via dashboard
Before coming down to WordPress we need to download XAMPP. follow below step to download the software
- If you run the XAMPP Exe then it pop-up a warning message whether you want to run the software or not. Click “YES” and proceed further.
- Click “Next” to run the XAMPP setup.
- Select the components that you want to install with XAMPP. By default, all the options are checked. IF you need, you can unchecked them.
- Click “Next” to run the XAMPP setup.
- Choose the installation folder where you want to install XAMPP. By default, it will be installed in the C drive.
- Click “Next” to proceed.
- You will see a screen that says XAMPP is ready to install.
Click “Next” to continue.
- This will begin the XAMPP installation. Wait for a moment and let the installation process finish.
- This will finish up the XAMPP installation process.
- Click “Finish”.
- Then Xampp popup language selector. chose the preferred language and hit save
- Now it will launch the XAMPP Control Panel.
- You have successfully installed XAMPP on your local machine.
- Type “http://localhost” in your browser to confirm that XAMPP is installed on your machine. It’s looks like this: In my case I will be using port 84 along with localhost. your can be different according to your configuration.
First of all you will need to download and extract WordPress on preferred location you choose
This method is best for those who find it difficult to deal with codes. Just follow the steps and install WordPress on your local computer.
First of all, you need to open your web browser and type the following URL in the address bar. This will open the language selection page. Again, make sure Apache and MySQL are running. If not, start them from the XAMPP control panel.
WordPress is available in several languages. You can select any language of your choice. By default, it selected English (United State).
A welcome page will open and will inform that you need some information like database name, username, password and hostname on the next page.
Now you have to provide necessary details to begin the WordPress installation properly
1. Database Name – wordpress. If you have named it something other than wordpress, please enter that name.
2. Username – root. The default username is root.
3. Password – The default password is set as blank.
4. Database Host – localhost
5. Table Prefix – wp_
Once you have provide the above mentioned details, please click on Submit proceed to the next page.
However if you need to create a new database for your wordpress project. follow below step to configure
1.Open up the XAMPP Control panel and click admin button in MYSQL ROW. It will redirected to you php myadmin
In PHPMYADMIN you can see database link upper left corner click on Database and Type a Database name and then hit
Now lest move again to our wordpress Installation. In the final step you can something like this
Click “Run the Installation”
Now hard part is over. If you provide the right details WordPress will connect to the database and a page will open and asking you to enter some details like site name, username, password and email. Make sure you remember your username and password as you will need them to log in to your WordPress Dashboard.
Once you are done, click on Install WordPress.
This will take several minutes to complete . when it’s complete you can see page with success message .that’s mean you have successfully install WordPress on your local machine 😮
Enter your username and password and click on Log in. This will take you to the WordPress Dashboard.
If you have any questions about the post or if you face any troubles while installation process let me know using the comment section and i will looking forward to help 🙄